2017 Balloon Festivals in the USA
Hot air balloon festivals are held annually, throughout the year, all over the world. Our calendar of 2017 balloon festivals has 44 confirmed festivals so far, to be held in 25 states across the country. We will be adding to this list and updating our calendar as more are confirmed. The list view is sortable by balloon festival name, state, and date. If you do come across one that we missed, please link to it in the comments below.
2017 Albuquerque Balloon Festival
The Largest Hot Air Balloon Festival in the World
The largest hot air balloon festival in the world, the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta, takes place in October each year in Albuquerque, New Mexico. The 9 day long Balloon Fiesta has over 500 participating balloons each year. Here is a terrific blog post about the 2015 Albuquerque Ballon Fiesta with tons of photos.
The finale for many of these balloon festivals is the “night glow” or “balloon glow” event. At predetermined signals, the pilots blast the propane burners, releasing a burst of fire into the balloon. The balloons “glow” like huge fireflies or Chinese lanterns, often accompanied by fireworks … it is a truly magical sight.
2017 Balloon Festivals in the USA
This is a calendar of all of the USA 2017 Balloon Festivals that we have been able to confirm to date. Of course, you should still double check their websites and social media profiles to make sure the event hasn’t been canceled. We will be updating this list each year, and throughout the year as needed. Please feel free to link to us and share! The embed code is available underneath.
Embed This Calendar!
Here’s an easy embed code, just drop it into your website! You’re free to display our 2017 balloon festivals calendar on your website; however, the license we grant you requires that you properly and correctly attribute the work back to us with a link to our website by using the embed code provided below. The balloon festivals calendar will be updated each year automatically!
<div style="width: 100%; text-align: center;">
<a href="http://www.townandtourist.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/balloon-festivals.png" target="_blank">
<img src="http://www.townandtourist.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/balloon-festivals-sm.jpg" alt="Balloon Festivals Calendar" /></a>
<a href="http://www.townandtourist.com/festivals-events/hot-air-balloon-festivals/">Balloon Festivals Calendar</a> by <a href="http://www.townandtourist.com/">Town & Tourist</a>
2017 Balloon Festivals in the USA
Click header links to sort ascending/descending alphabetically. (You may have to click it twice.)
|2017 Balloon Festivals||State, City||2017 Dates||Learn More|
|Adirondack Hot Air Balloon Festival||NY, Glens Falls||9/21–9/24|
|Alabama Jubilee Hot Air Balloon Classic||AL, Decatur||5/27–5/28|
|Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta #BalloonFiesta||NM, Albuquerque||10/7–10/15|
|Ashland BalloonFest||OH, Ashland||6/29–7/1|
|Bluff Balloon Festival||UT, Bluff||1/13–1/15|
|Carolina BalloonFest #CarolinaBalloonFest||NC, Statesville||10/20-10/22|
|Centralia Balloon Festival||IL, Centralia||8/18–8/20|
|Chester County Balloon Festival||PA, Toughkenamon||6/23–6/25|
|Colorado Springs Labor Day Lift Off #LDLO||CO, Colorado Springs||9/2–9/4|
|Colorado River Crossing Balloon Festival||AZ, Yuma||Nov|
|Creston Hot Air Balloon Days||IA, Creston||Sep|
|Eyes to the Sky Balloon Festival||UT, Salina||6/16–6/18|
|Field of Flight Air Show & Balloon Festival||MI, Battle Creek||6/29–7/4|
|Great Falls Balloon Festival||ME, Lewiston/Auburn||Aug|
|Great Forest Park Balloon Race||MO, Saint Louis||9/15–9/16|
|Great Mississippi River Balloon Race||MI, Natchez||Oct|
|Great Pershing Balloon Derby||MO, Brookfield||Sep|
|Great Prosser Balloon Rally||WA, Prosser||Sep|
|Great Reno Balloon Race #RenoBalloonRace||NV, Reno||9/8–9/10|
|Great Texas Balloon Race||TX, Longview||Jul|
|Great Wellsville Balloon Rally||NY, Wellsville||7/21–7/23|
|Havasu Balloon Festival & Fair||AZ, Lake Havasu City||1/13–1/15|
|Helen to the Atlantic Balloon Race & Festival||GA, Helen||Jun|
|Hot Air Jubilee||MI, Jackson||7/15–7/17|
|Hudson Valley Hot-Air Balloon Festival||NY, Poughkeepsie||7/7–7/9|
|Kiwanis Hot Air Balloon Festival||IN, Bloomington||9/8–9/10|
|Lisle Eye To The Skies Festival||IL, Lisle||Jul|
|Macomb Balloon Rally||IL, Macomb||Sep|
|Michigan Challenge BalloonFest||MI, Howell||6/23–6/25|
|Montpelier Bean Days Balloon Festival||OH, Montpelier||Jul|
|National Balloon Classic||IA, Indianola||7/28–8/5|
|New York State Festival of Balloons||NY, Dansville||Sep|
|Northwest Art & Air Festival||OR, Albany||8/25–8/27|
|Plano Balloon Festival
|Quick Chek New Jersey Festival of Ballooning||NJ, Readington||7/28–7/30|
|Quechee Hot Air Balloon Craft & Music Festival||VT, Quechee||6/16–6/18|
|Ravenna Balloon-A-Fair||OH, Ravenna||Sep|
|Spiedie Fest & Balloon Rally||NY, Binghamton||Aug|
|Spirit of Boise Balloon Classic||ID, Boise||8/30|
|St. Patrick’s Day Balloon Rallye||NM, Los Lunas||3/17–3/19|
|Temecula Valley Balloon & Wine Festival||CA, Temecula||6/2–6/4|
|Thurston Classic||PA, Meadville||Jun|
|University Toyota’s Balloons Over Morgantown||WV, Morgantown||Oct|
|US National Hot Air Balloon Championship (BFA)||Varies||TBD|
|Warren County Farmers’ Fair Balloon Festival||NJ, Warren County||7/29-8/5|
2017 Balloon Festival Tips:
- These events are usually free or very low cost; and, donations are generally accepted.
- These events attract thousands of people (the Albuquerque International Balloon Festival attracts close to 80,000 a day) so expect traffic and delays getting into and out of the parking lots. Get there early – and the bigger the balloon festival, the earlier you should plan to arrive…. even as much as two hours early.
- Dress appropriately. Remember that it is generally colder in the morning or evening and it will be even more chilly on an open field.
- Drones are a BIG no-no. Don’t do it. Just don’t.
- Smoking is another big no-no.
- Bring your camera! If you share your photos on social media, be sure to use the official event hashtag … and we would love a hashtag as well so we can share your photos with our audience! Our hashtag is #TownTourist.
- Most balloon flights occur just after sunrise or just before sunset or both. In colder months or climates, you might also see balloons flying in the daytime; however, you should refer to the festival’s schedule of events page on their website for specific times.
- Balloon flights and activities are usually weather dependent. Ideal wind speeds are 3-5 mph and if winds increase beyond 8-10 mph, or if it is raining, it is unlikely that the balloons will be able to fly.
- The festivals themselves usually do not schedule or book balloon rides. Many participating pilots and balloon operators book their rides independently. There is usually a list on the festival’s website so you can contact them and ask if they accept passengers. While prices vary, you should probably expect to pay $175-225 per person.
- Beware of anyone trying to sell you gift certificates for hot air balloon companies. Always call the company directly to purchase a gift certificate.
Finally, a little advice and best practices to the webmasters of the balloon festival websites listed above:
- PLEASE update your websites immediately after your event with the dates for the following year. It is very difficult to keep this list up-to-date if we have to search the web. If you aren’t sure of the dates, a simple “Next Event: May 2017” would suffice.
- PLEASE do not change your URL, or if you do, please set up a redirect. Refrain from using the year or “19th annual” in your URL so you don’t have to constantly change it.
- Make it easy to keep your information current across your social media sites by saying (for example) “Always the last weekend in May”.
- Link to your social media channels from your website.
- Include your official hashtag on your website.